Bissell is a renowned name when it comes to producing quality cleaning appliances
The Bissell steam mop is no different and can allow you to keep your home spotless with ease.
However, at times, steam mops can run into issues, leaving your floors dirty.
Here are 7 common issues with Bissell steam mops, along with their solutions to help you get up and clean again.
Bissell Steam Mop Not Turning On
If you notice that your Bissell steam mop won’t turn on, there is probably a power problem or a problem with the mop itself.
Don’t worry, just follow the instructions below.
- First off, test the power socket by plugging in the appliance in a different socket. If the appliance starts to work, you will simply need to get the main socket fixed.
- If the appliance does not work in a different socket, check the power cable for any type of damage. You can also try replacing the power cable if you have a spare one with the same amperage and voltage.
- Lastly, you can try replacing the fuse located inside the appliance. It’s possible that the fuse blew out and is halting the power supply to the other components.
If it’s still not working, it probably has an internal problem. It is best to get advice from Bissell.
Bissell Steam Mop Keeps Turning Off
Another common issue with Bissell steam mops is that they can constantly turn on and off at times.
This can be a frustrating issue.
Damaged mop cables or a loose power outlet are the two most common reasons for a Bissell steam mop to keep shutting off.
However, don’t worry, as here are some effective solutions you can use.
- A loose power cable may be the culprit behind this issue. Check the power socket and replace the cable if it appears to be loosely fixed into the socket.
- Additionally, an internally damaged cable may also cause this problem. If you notice any bent areas on the cable, it’s best to have it replaced.
- If the above solutions fail to work, you will need to call in a professional to internally diagnose the components of the steam mop.
Bissell Steam Mop Not Producing Steam
When a Bissell mop doesn’t produce steam, it’s usually because not plugged into the power socket properly, the tank isn’t filled with water, or the nozzle is blocked.
Here are some steps you can take to do so.
- Make sure the Bissell mop is plugged in and in a functioning outlet first. Make sure the tank has water by checking after that. It is crucial to confirm that you are ONLY filling the tank with water. The machine’s gasket and/or other components could break down as a result of alternative solutions.
- During use, the water inside the appliance evaporates as steam, leaving behind minerals on the nozzle. Over time, the nozzle is clogged, and the steam no longer escapes. To solve this issue, you may need to decalcify the nozzle.
- Use a vinegar solution and some paper clips to clean the nozzle and remove any sort of debris that may be clogging it.
- If doing so doesn’t fix the issue, you may have simply forgotten to fill the tank.
Bissell Steam Mop No Heating Up
At times, your Bissell steam mop will turn on; however, it will fail to heat up the water inside and, therefore, not produce any steam either.
A broken heating element is a common reason why your Bissell steam cleaner isn’t producing steam. Your steam cleaner won’t produce any steam if the heater, which is used to heat the water, has burst or burned out.
The steamer should sound like a boiling kettle once the water tank is full and turned on.
To fix this problem and make your steam mop as good as new, follow the solutions below.
- A failed heating element is the major cause behind this issue. However, before you replace this element, you will need to test it. To start doing so, first, unplug the appliance.
- Detach the cover of the steam mop and test the two wires running from the heating element to the boiling tank using a multimeter.
- If you notice more than 50 ohms of resistance, you will need to replace the heating element.
Bissell Steam Mop Leaking Water
Water leakages are a common issue with Bissell steam mops. They can create a mess and even increase fall hazards. However, you can fix this problem by following the effective solutions below.
- One of the most common causes for water leakages is using a high steam setting, which can cause the appliance to be soaked in water, appearing as if there is a leakage. So, try to use a low steam setting to fix the issue.
- If the problem persists, check the water tank and the cap for cracks. Additionally, also make sure the rubber gasket is tightly attached. If there are any cracks in the water tank, you will need to replace it.
- Furthermore, try to tighten the water tank into the entire unit to stop water from leaking at the attachment.
Bissell Steam Mop Still Not Working
If your Bissell steam mop does not work even after trying all the solutions mentioned above, it may be facing a serious issue related to internal components.
In such a situation, it’s best to refer to the user manual that came with the appliance, as it may contain some important information about fixing complicated issues.
However, if the user manual is not helpful, call an expert, preferably from Bissell themselves. If the warranty of the product is still valid, taking help from a Bissell expert should be your priority.
Bissell Steam Mop Leaving Streaks on Floor
Bissell steam mops leaving streaks on tiles or floorboards are most likely caused by a dirty mop or leaving the mop on the floor for an extended period of time.
Sticky floors after steam mopping are commonly caused by residue from cleaning products used on the floor. Using a dirty mop pad can also result in sticky floors.
- Always sweep or vacuum your floors thoroughly before using the mop.
- Replace the mop pads on a regular basis to prevent dirt and grime from being transferred to another area. Furthermore, if the pad becomes too wet, it can leave streaks.
- Do not let the mop pad stand on a spot for longer than 15 seconds otherwise, it may create a white circle on the floor. If this happens, use a cloth and a few drops of white vinegar to remove the stain.
- As needed, replenish the mop’s water tank. When the tank is empty, the mop will usually stop producing steam.
How Long Do Bissell Steam Mops Last?
Bissell steam mops can last around 7 years.
However, you can further add to their lifespan through better care and frequent maintenance.
Bissell Steam Mops any Good?
Yes, Bissell steam mops are very good. Bissell steam mops are lightweight, versatile, and simple to use steam mops that clean a variety of floor surfaces.
Bissell steam mops are capable of cleaning even the dirtiest of floors.
Pros and Cons of Bissell Steam Mops
- Good water tank capacity
- Missing is attachments for cleaning non-flooring items
What the Reviews Say
Simply fill the removable reservoir with water, plug it in, wait for about 10 seconds, and then easily push back and forth on floors.
It steams the floors. collects the dirt on its cleaning pad, and the floor automatically dries within minutes. One washable pad is enough for the entire house, or use the 2nd included pad if you wish.
It has a very comfortable handle (much better than other brands) and a swivel action for really easy manoeuvring.
I owned a Shark steam mop for three years. I liked it at first because at the time I thought it was the only thing available. Now that I am better informed, and since my Shark stopped working,
I have found a way better replacement in this BISSELL – PowerFresh Steam Mop. It cleans way better than my Shark ever did with much less effort.
Filling the water reservoir is also much easier, as is draining it. I would recommend this to anyone.
I purchased a steam mop a few years ago, but it hasn’t been a good fit so I’ve been on the lookout for a new one.
This is all I wanted and more. The key things for me: stands upright, cord easily wraps (2 issues with previous steamer). The pads are easy to use and clean. Haven’t tried the fragrance discs yet.
This mop navigates easily, gets into all the corners, and the tank holds just enough for what I am doing if cleaning the whole house (small condo). More then enough for 2 rooms. Would definitely recommend.
Bissell is undoubtedly a company you can trust when buying household appliances such as steam mops.
After all, Bissell’s steam mops come equipped with the latest technology and several useful features.
However, just like all appliances, steam mops are also prone to failure.
So, keep in mind the solutions and common problems mentioned above to keep your steam mop in working condition.
- Image by benzoix on Freepik
- Spray Stain Removers | Upholstery Cleaners | Carpet Shampoo (bissell.com)