Ruud air conditioners are well known on the market for being both high-quality and reasonably priced.
However, over time, complications and problems can arise no matter what the brand is.
It’s not surprising many people are shifting to the use of Ruud ACs after relying on other brands for a long time.
However, over time, complications and problems can arise no matter what the brand is.
In such a situation, continue reading below to find the solution to your problem.
Ruud Air Conditioner Problems: 7 Common Issues (Must Read)
Here are 7 common problems with Ruud air conditioners, along with their causes and solutions.
This is not to say that if you buy a Ruud air conditioner, you will have these problems.
These are the most commonly experienced problems.
Not too dissimilar to other air conditioner brands
Ruud AC not cooling
From time to time, Ruud air conditioners can stop cooling the air they blow out
If your Ruud Air Conditioner is not cooling, it’s likely to be a clogged air filter or defective thermostat.
However, you don’t need to worry, as reading the causes and solutions below might help you solve the issue.
If your Ruud air conditioner is blowing hot air, the thermostat may have been set to “heat” by mistake. If this is the case, it’s a simple remedy that you can do on your own.
Simply turn the thermostat to “cool” and observe if the air conditioner starts to blow cool air once more.
Check the thermostat and make sure it is set to “cool” and at the proper temperature. If it needs new batteries, replace them.
A dirty air filter can lead to a dirty evaporator coil, even though air filters have nothing to do with air temperature.
There may not be enough free airflow to allow for efficient cooling operation if the evaporator coil becomes blocked with dust and debris.
Debris build-up from a filthy air filter can cause frozen evaporator coils.
Although you may believe that “frozen” equals “cold,” the frozen coils actually obstruct the flow of cool air, causing warm air to flow from the running engine instead.
Depending on the environment, filter type, and home, air filter change should be done every 30-60 days by the owner.
Setting a monthly reminder to check the condition of your air filter is recommended.
Ruud AC won’t power on
If your Ruud air conditioner is not turning on it’s likely to be a tripped circuit breaker.
Before you call a technician check if there is a blown fuse or a tripped breaker, If the fuse is found to be burnt out, replace the burned-out fuse and reset the circuit breaker to fix the error.
- When it comes to an unresponsive AC, the problem is usually a loose power cable or a tripped circuit breaker. So, make sure the power cable and the circuit breaker switch are both in place, and your AC might start to work. If this doesn’t help, reset the AC using the GFCI on the power cable.
- If the quick fixes mentioned above don’t seem to work, the problem may be of a more serious nature, as the components could be faulty. However, you will need to call a professional to deal with this matter.
Ruud AC not blowing air
If your Ruud air conditioner turns on but doesn’t blow out any air, it’s likely to be a clogged air filter or defective thermostat.
- Remove the filers with care and gently clean them, removing any dust on the filters.
- If the AC fan blades are not able to rotate, the AC won’t be able to blow out air. Debris and a broken fan axle are two common reasons behind this issue. To check if your AC fan is in working condition, open the unit and remove any debris inside the fan while fixing the loose axle.
- If the fan blades appear to be in working condition already, chances are the AC’s fan motor is broken. To test it, open the unit and turn the fan manually. If the fan rotates with resistance, you will need to replace the motor.
Ruud AC blowing warm air
It can be quite frustrating when your AC blows warm air, as it can ruin the temperature of your entire home.
Ruud AC blowing hot air is typically caused by an incorrect thermostat or an issue with the compressor.
However, you can deal with this issue by reading the causes and solutions below.
- Typically, this problem can be easily fixed by simply checking the thermostat settings. If your thermostat has been switched to “on” instead of “cool” or “auto,” the AC will constantly blow air even if it isn’t cooling. Changing this setting will allow your AC to start cooling again.
- If the thermostat settings appear to be fine, the problem may be with your compressor. To test the compressor, turn off the AC for at least 30 seconds and listen to the sound of the compressor starting after turning the AC on. If the compressor doesn’t start after a few minutes, you will need to replace it.
Ruud AC produces an unpleasant smell
Rarely this happens, but Ruud AC producing an unpleasant smell is typically caused by mold or refrigerant leak.
A refrigerant leak is likely if your unit smells like fish, or vinegar or has a sweet odor. A lack of chilled air is another tell-tale sign that you don’t have enough refrigerant.
If you’re dealing with this issue, it’s best to use some of the solutions mentioned below as soon as possible.
- If your AC has been spreading an unpleasant smell, it could be due to the presence of mold. After all, the humid internal environment of an AC is the perfect place for mold to grow. You will need to contact a professional to get rid of the mold for you.
- If mold isn’t a problem and your AC is still spreading a bad smell, your Ruud AC might have an issue with its components. Overheated parts can easily spread a burning smell. Additionally, a gas leak can produce the smell of rotten eggs. To fix faulty components, call in a professional.
Ruud AC temperature inaccurate
If your Ruud AC hasn’t been keeping the temperature maintained at the value you set, it’s likely to be a faulty thermostat.
The good news, this issue can be dealt with if you read the following causes and solutions.
- The thermostat is responsible for regulating the temperature. If this part is broken, you will not be able to change the temperature and might even harm other components. However, a thermostat can be quite complicated to test and fix, so you’ll need a professional to do the work for you.
- If the thermostat is working fine, the compressor might be broken and will have to be replaced. Additionally, you can also check for a refrigerant leak.
Ruud AC is not responding to the remote control
Ruud air conditioner’s remote is not working it’s likely to be an issue with the batteries,
Continue reading the possible causes and solutions to find the fix.
- The reason behind an unresponsive AC is typically a lack of power in the controller. So, replace the remote control’s batteries and test if it works.
- The main control board of the Ruud AC has an infrared receiver to receive the signals coming from the remote control. If this receiver fails to work, your AC will not respond to the remote control. So, if your remote control is in working condition, replace the main control board to fix the issue.
Ruud AC producing noise
If your Ruud AC is making more noise than normal it’s probably being caused by debris being stuck inside the appliance.
However, there are several ways you can fix this issue.
- Typically, the reason behind noise is debris stuck in the AC. So, open up your AC unit and check for debris in the fan, filter, and other areas, removing it thoroughly.
- The fan motors contain lubricated ball bearings. However, over time, this lubrication can decompose, causing the bearings to produce noise when the fan rotates. If that’s the case, replace the motors for your AC fans.
If your Ruud air conditioner is spewing heated air, making hissing or gurgling noises, or has ice on the refrigerant line best to turn it off and call a technician
How long do Ruud air conditioners last?
Typically, Ruud air conditioners can last anywhere between 10 to 15 years.
However, considering your use, your AC’s lifespan can vary.
So, it’s best to keep your AC in good condition at all times to add a few years to its life.
Are Ruud air conditioners any good?
Yes, Ruud is an excellent product. In fact, Rudd is the market leader in air conditioners. After all, Ruud sells high-quality, reasonably priced air conditioners that are built to last.
Pros and cons of Rudd air conditioners
Here are some pros and cons of Rudd air conditioners.
- High quality
- Affordable (mid-range cost)
- High Star energy rated
Ruud is the brand to choose if you’re seeking an AC unit that is excellent quality, well-built, and reasonably priced.
But eventually, you’ll encounter some problems.
The solutions listed above will be quite beneficial in that situation.
Therefore, keep them in mind and always maintain your Ruud AC in good working order.
- American Standard Air Conditioner Problems: 7 Common Issues (Must Read)
- Carrier Air Conditioner Problems: 7 Common Issues (Must Read)
- Why Air Conditioners Turns On and Off? (Must Read)