Life is so much simpler with a countertop dishwasher!
Dishwashers, like all machines, can malfunction, leaving you with a frustrating feeling and a pile of dirty dishes.
Before you give up and start handwashing your dishes, read this article.
Ready, let’s dive in
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Not Draining
Is your Edgestar countertop dishwasher completely empty, or is there always an inch of water in the bottom?
Edgestar countertop dishwasher not draining is likely to be caused by a clogged-up filter, blocked hose, or faulty pump.
Before you call a repair service, try these three simple fixes if your dishwasher won’t drain.
But before you do any of these best to remove the bottom rack, spray arm support, and plug from the dishwasher’s power source.
- If filters are not cleaned regularly, they can become clogged. Locate and uninstall your filters. These are located at the bottom of the dishwasher, directly beneath the lower spray arm.
- To begin, twist the cylindrical filter to remove it from the dishwasher. Remove any gunk from the filters by gently cleaning them.
Household Plumbing or Drain Valve Problems
- The next potential reason why your dishwasher isn’t draining is a clogged drain hose or hose with a kink, if cleaning your filters hasn’t fixed the problem.
There’s a Kink in the Hose
- Remove the drain hose’s kink. Clear any impediments that are putting pressure on it and straighten it out.
The Drain Hose is Squashed
Remove any barriers that are pressuring it. It will be necessary to remove and replace the hose if it is seriously damaged.
The Drain Hose is Clogged
- To release and remove the obstruction, use a wire hanger. The drain hose should be disconnected in order to accomplish this. You can use this to remove any blockages from the hose’s ends.
Kitchen Drain Is Blocked
Remembering that Countertop dishwasher drains into the kitchen plumbing and if its blocked it will prevent your Countertop dishwasher from draining.
Simply turn on the faucets to check whether the water drains out of the sink to determine if your kitchen pipes are clogged.
If water drains aways, then it’s likely to be an issue with the drain pump (see steps below).
If the water does not drain away, means you have a blockage in the kitchen pipes.
Follow the steps below to unblock your kitchen pipes
- Hot water should be poured into the sink until it is about halfway full, sealing the drain in place.
- Place the plunger over the drain and start quickly pumping up and down multiple times.
- Wait to see if the water drains after removing the plunger.
- Continue until the water drains freely.
If you have unblocked your kitchen sink and your countertop dishwasher still not draining, then move onto the next step.
Faulty Drain Pump
- Countertop dishwashers have a pump that forces water from the tub into the drain. The pump won’t function properly if it is blocked with debris or food scraps.
- A drain pump, like a dishwasher filter, can become clogged by leftover food particles and grease build-up.
- This will keep the water from draining after a washing cycle. Any debris that has made its way into the pump is usually found near the impeller (a rotor that increases the pressure and flow of fluid).
- Foreign objects, such as broken glass, can easily enter the drain pump and prevent it from functioning. If there is a problem, you should be able to hear the pump struggling.
- Checking the drain pump generally requires access to the dishwasher’s bottom. This means disconnecting the inlet hose and removing the base plate.
- To ensure that the pump is working properly, take a resistance reading with a multimeter.
If you are unsure about any of these tasks or do not want to risk voiding your appliance’s warranty, contact local repair centre or agent to take a look.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Not Cleaning Properly
If your Edgestar countertop dishwasher isn’t cleaning your dishes, there may be too many dishes, a clogged spray arm, a broken soap dispenser, low-quality detergent being used, or a broken or malfunctioning inlet valve.
Before you call your local technician, go through the steps outlined below.
- Check the spray arm to ensure it has not been obstructed by a plate or utensil. Gently spin it around to see if it’s free of any impediments.
- Check that the small holes that spray water are not clogged with grease and grime. If so, take it out and gently clean it with detergent.
- Are you using the cheapest detergent tablets from the supermarket? Spotty dishes can be caused by using low-quality or ineffective detergent.
- Too much detergent can also cause issues. Use the proper type of detergent and the appropriate amount. A final rinse agent should also help with results.
- Consider installing a water softener if you have hard water to reduce mineral deposit damage. Finally, make certain that the dishwasher is properly loaded.
- Check to see if the detergent is being released by the soap dispenser.
- Sometimes the dispenser gets stuck releasing the detergent at the correct cycle time, which is usually caused by grease and grime.
- If this is the case, clean the soap dispenser gently with warm water to remove the grease and grime.
- A clogged filter is a common cause of your dishwasher failing to drain making your dishes dirty.
- If your filter is dirty and the water is not draining, remove it from the machine (as directed by the owner’s manual) and thoroughly rinse it under hot water.
- If there is any stuck-on gunk, soak it in hot, soapy water for a few minutes before gently cleaning it with a soft brush and rinsing.
- Water enters the dishwasher through the inlet valve. The valve is responsible for the water to enter the dishwasher, and if it malfunctions, the dishes won’t get enough water to get clean.
- A faulty inlet valve is most likely to blame if you’ve recently noticed a hammering sound coming from the unit while it’s running.
- Parts and replacement information can be found in your owner’s manual. Another reason can be a broken water pump belt worn out by continuous usage.
If you are unsure about any of these tasks or do not want to risk voiding your appliance’s warranty, contact a qualified plumbing technician to repair your dishwasher.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Leaking
Edgestar dishwasher leaking from the bottom is usually caused by using the incorrect type and quantity of detergent, a clogged filter, overloading the machine, leaking detergent draws, or leaking hoses.
Damaged Door Seal
- One of the most common causes of dishwasher leaks is a damaged seal along the edge of the appliance’s door.
- When new and supple, its rubber material works well to keep water inside the machine—but after years of use, it can dry out, become brittle, and crack.
- Dried foods can also accumulate along the gasket edge, preventing the door from closing securely against the frame.
- Replace the door seal and clean it around the door and door seal. Replace the door if damaged or faulty.
Incorrectly Stacked Dishwasher
- Overcrowded or incorrectly loaded appliances, utensils, and dishes may obstruct the arm’s rotation or cause it to become dislodged, even damaged, after years of use, resulting in leaks.
- The solution is to stack the dishwasher correctly and check the spray arm for blockages.
Blocked, Loose, or Damaged Connecting Hose
- The drain hose transports water from the dishwasher to the drain pump, and drain line, and eventually out your sink drain.
- Because connections can become loose or the hose itself can crack or tear, the dishwasher may leak water onto the floor before it exits through the end of the line.
- Check the hoses for any blockages and make sure there are no holes or cracks. If the hose is damaged, have it replaced.
- Make sure you place the hose back in its place as per the manual. Incorrect placement will result in dishwasher malfunction.
- Run the dishwasher through a cycle and check for any leaks.
If you’ve tried everything above and your dishwasher is still leaking, it’s time to call a technician.
Check out this article for more information on diagnosing and repairing a leaking dishwasher:
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Buttons Not Working
If the buttons on your Countertop Edgestar dishwasher are not working, the display may be defective or power supply issue.
If some of the buttons are working and others aren’t the keypad may also be the culprit of your troubles.
Additionally, there is also a chance the entire control board has suffered internal damage and needs replacement.
- First, ensure that your washing machine is receiving an uninterrupted power supply by ensuring that the power cable is properly plugged in and the socket works.
- Check that child lock is not enabled and there is no food impeding the buttons.
- Replace the faulty display, touchpad, or keypad.
Edgestar’s Countertop Dishwasher Won’t Start
If your Edgestar countertop dishwasher does not start when you turn it on, there could be a problem with the power supply or the door latch.
The switch indicates to the control board whether the door is fully closed or not so the dishwasher can start.
If the switch is faulty, the control board will not receive the signal, and the machine will not turn on.
Another possible issue can be a blown thermal fuse.
However, before you call your local technician, try the troubleshooting steps listed below.
Check Power Supply
- Ensure the power cable is plugged in properly and the socket works. Check if the circuit breaker has been tripped due to a power surge and flip it back on.
- Most dishwashers have a child lock feature that prevents children from opening the appliance or changing the cycle settings.
- In many cases, the unit will not operate if the child lock is activated. The lock is usually activated and deactivated by pressing and holding a button for three seconds, or something similar.
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions for the child safety lock if your dishwasher won’t start or the door won’t open.
- The door latch switch is the next thing to inspect. This is what tells the dishwasher that the door is securely closed and that it is safe to begin the water cycle.
- The latch secures the door, and the latch switch detects when the door is closed.
There are several possibilities here.
- Examine the door latch to see if there is any old soap or food gunk stuck in it. The latch will not click shut if it is jammed or clogged with old gunk. The switch will not activate, and the dishwasher will not start.
- Your door latch or latch switch could also be damaged. If the latch fails, the door will no longer be able to click and hold itself closed, preventing the dishwasher from starting and running safely.
- You’ll need to replace the door latch as well as possibly the switch.
If you have troubleshot the items above and your dishwasher is still not working, might be faced with a faulty control board, drive motor, or Thermal Fuse.
It is best to call a technician, who will quickly determine the problem.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Stopping Mid Cycle
After finishing dinner, you turn on the countertop dishwasher only to discover that it stops midway through the cycle, leaving the dishes still unclean and covered in soap build up.
Then when you try to start the cycle again and get no response or find that the same mid-cycle premature end happens all over again,
The reason for your Edgestar countertop dishwasher stopping mid-cycle is likely caused by a faulty door switch, blown fuse, or faulty control board.
If you are uncomfortable about resolving this problem or do not want to risk voiding your appliance’s warranty, contact a qualified technician to repair your dishwasher.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Making Noise
Strange noises coming from a countertop dishwasher are not uncommon. They are usually nothing to be concerned about, and the noise problem is often easily resolved.
If your Edgestar countertop dishwasher is making too much noise, it could be due to a clogged spray arm, food, or broken items in the dishwasher.
Follow the steps below before calling a technician and handwashing your dishes.
- A buzzing noise is usually nothing to be concerned about. When your countertop dishwasher pushes water down the drain, you can hear it buzz. Check your pump impeller for blockage or damage if the sound is very loud.
- If your countertop dishwasher is making grinding noises, a foreign object has likely become lodged inside the pump. It could be hard food or something that was being cleaned and broken during the wash cycle. To see if this is the case, remove the dishwasher’s lower rack, then the spray arms, and finally the filter unit for inspection.
- Check that the countertop dishwasher is properly loaded. If the spray arm is hitting the utensils (baby bottles, for example), the dishwasher has been incorrectly loaded. To fix this, arrange the utensils so that the spray arms can fully rotate without being obstructed.
If the noise persists, it is best to contact a technician.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwasher Lifespan
Edgestar countertop dishwashers typically have a lifespan of 10 to 12 years.
However, depending on how much you use it and how well you maintain it, the lifespan of your dishwasher can vary.
So, to extend the life of your dishwasher, keep it in good condition by stacking it correctly and taking care of it at all times.
Edgestar Countertop Dishwashers Any Good?
Yes, Edgestar is very good. Edgestar countertop dishwashers are compact, user-friendly standalone dishwashers that save space and energy.
Edgestar countertop dishwashers hold six standard plates, cups, and cutlery, as well as seven different wash cycles, and are a full-featured and cost-effective solution for anyone who does not have the space for a full-sized dishwasher.
So, yes, it is safe to say Edgestar countertop dishwashers are good.
Pros and Cons
Below are the pros and cons of the Edgestar countertop dishwasher
- Well built
- Quiet and efficient
- Numerous cleaning settings
- Surprisingly Spacious
- Smaller components are more brittle.
What the Reviews are Saying
Here is what’s been said across the internet
Previously, it appeared that we were doing dishes all day on weekends.
Edgestar is incredible!
The dishes are cleaner than when we did them by hand, the kitchen is quiet enough to converse, and we’re saving a lot of time.
If you need an affordable, well-designed sleek looking countertop dishwasher Edgestar is the brand to go with.
However, you may encounter some difficulties, hopefully later rather than sooner.
In that case, the solutions listed above will come in handy.
So, keep them in mind at all times and your Edgestar dishwasher will be in good working order.